Skip to main content

Headaches Specialist

Stamford Spine

Chiropractic & Massage Therapists located in Downtown, Stamford, CT

Nine out of ten Americans suffer from headaches with varying pain levels and debilitation. While headaches are common, you don’t have to live with them. Research shows that spinal manipulation -- commonly performed during a chiropractic adjustment -- can effectively treat and reduce headaches, including migraines. Give yourself the gift of relief from chronic headaches or migraines, and make an appointment with Brian Murphy, DC, MS, and the chiropractic specialists at Stamford Spine in Stamford, Connecticut. You deserve to be free of pain; call the office or schedule a consultation online today.

Headaches  Q & A

headache image

What causes headaches?

Many causes or triggers can bring on a headache or migraine. For example, foods, environmental factors, including allergies, or behaviors like lack of sleep or regular exercise, can cause headaches. 

While a small portion of headaches (5%) can signify a deeper physical ailment, the remaining 95% of headaches are considered primary headaches, which means the headache itself is the primary concern.

The majority of primary headaches, including tension, cluster, or migraine headaches, are associated with muscle tension in the neck, which can also radiate to the scalp and upper back. Muscle tension is aggravated by our mostly sedentary lifestyles, putting pressure on the joints as we sit in front of a computer for hours in a fixed position.

How can I prevent headaches?

The best thing you can do to prevent headaches is to avoid sitting for a long time in a fixed position. Instead, aim to get up and move every 30 minutes to an hour. During that time, try to add in some stretches, including movement through your neck and shoulders.

Low impact exercise can also assist with preventing or relieving the pain of a headache, but heavy exercise can aggravate those prone to dull throbbing headaches. Additionally, drinking water throughout your day, aiming for around eight full glasses, can help with headaches caused by dehydration. 

Lastly, avoid clenching your teeth. Clenching your jaw can lead to TMJ or stress at the temporomandibular joints, which can lead to tension headaches.

How does a chiropractor treat headaches?

Your doctor of chiropractic may be able to treat your headaches through spinal manipulation, aiding in the function of your spine and relieving stress in your system. 

By improving the alignment and posture of your spine, especially around your neck and shoulders, you can relieve tension causing chronic headaches.

Your chiropractor may advise you on diet changes or vitamins to assist with your overall health and reduce your headache occurrences. They can also offer you advice on your posture, ergonomic products, relaxation techniques, and exercises for preventing or relieving headaches. 

Find out how Stamford Spine can reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches or migraines. Call the practice or schedule an appointment online today.